Saturday 20 June 2015

Fix WiFi/DNS Issues on HP Stream 11 (Ubuntu 14.04) - Updated


IMPORTANT UPDATE: permanent solution found. Please see new post HERE

IGNORE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS 

Blogger is making the text unreadable. To see the commands below highlight them. I have attempted to fix this to no avail. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

As stated in my previous guide it is possible to install and use Ubuntu on the HP Stream 11 and I have been doing so for a number of weeks. In this time I have noticed an issue with the WiFi on the Stream 11 in which the WiFi is connected to the network but will not load any pages on the browser and any internet services will not work.

However, after searching pages of forums I believe I have found the fix for this issue. This bug is caused by the included Broadcom driver and blacklisting it seems to solve all the WiFi issues.

Run terminal and enter:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Then add the following commands to blacklist the Broadcom drivers

blacklist mac80211
blacklist brcm80211
blacklist cfg80211
blacklist wl
blacklist lib80211_crypt_tkip
blacklist lib80211

After this has been added, save your changes and edit the rc.local file:

sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

above 'Exit 0' type modprobe brcm80211

2 comments:

  1. This is not my solution - but I cannot remember where I found it...

    1. Download https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new
    2. Extract zip.
    3. Open Terminal and cd to extracted folder.
    4. Type "sudo make"
    5. Type "sudo make install"
    6. Reboot

    ReplyDelete